Happy Graduation Fun Time (Sad Before Grad Edition)

Toward this time of year, senioritis starts kicking in something fierce. Motivation is a rare commodity on campus, and even the guys with a 6-pack of Redbull in their bag seem to be running on their lowest setting. After the scramble to get assignments in at the end of the first semester, everyone at school seems to need a two week nap after returning to school from Thanksgiving break, but no such thing is possible with attendance (ha!) and a decent GPA to worry about…If you even have the emotional capability left to worry.

School is hard. There are a multitude of people, over your years in high school, who will belittle and insult the effort that is required to do your best.

“Tough it out. If you think life is hard now, imagine working a full-time job!” 

“Someday, you’re going to look back and envy how easy your life is for you now!”

Your productivity will never be enough for these people. Many students have extracurricular activities along with their academic roles, such as sports or various clubs. However, once you acknowledge that you cannot please people who are never satisfied, eventually you will no longer stop trying to do it for them. A closely guarded secret by those in authority is that…graduation is all about you. Your actions, your effort, your diploma. No one else should be priority, because doing your best will only benefit yourself. Other generations call millennials selfish, but why not use this trait to our best advantage?

Positivity is a beautiful advantage in getting through the year. Although the work is hard, the end will still be worthwhile. A diploma is worth a snootload* of cash over the course of a career. As easy as it sounds to drop out of school and get a job at Publix, life is never going to be that simple. They probably wouldn’t hire you anyways. You don’t have any job experience! Growing up is complex and difficult, but that is what makes it enjoyable when the good moments come. Moments like teacher in-service days, early release Wednesdays, and winter break. Moments like walking across the stage after a long 12 years of public education. The rewards of our hard work can be forgotten at times, however. The anxieties of balancing an education and an enjoyable life has shrunk the class of 2017 more and more each month. Seniors….Graduation is May 19th, dude. Five months left. Are you going to give up now?

*snootload is not considered an official measure of currency