Senior Year Tips

Senior year is always on everyone’s mind. Either underclassmen are wishing it was their senior year, ruling the school and getting the spirit stick at the pep rallies or actual seniors are cramming all of their work, staying up late, pulling their hair out, and endlessly crying while trying to pass Mrs. Hieber’s class.  Everything a student does affects senior year, although some students might not realize this at that time.

It doesn’t matter if students are in 7th grade or 12th grade, they should start to think about senior year right now. Think about joining a sport. Seventh grade students have the opportunity to join a sport and play for all six years. If a student works hard and excels, he or she could even be a six-year letter-man! Think of  all those pins that could be earned for a letter-man jacket.

Students should join clubs they would have never even thought about joining in order to make new friends and learn new things. There are so many wonderful opportunities out there that teachers make for us to be the best we can. No matter how much students might not like a teacher, remember teachers will never set you up for failure.  Teachers help guide us to our futures. When I started high school I had no idea what I wanted to be. I had all these ideas but nothing was for sure. They were just ideas without any action and very little meaning, but now I am a senior with most of my career path already lined up for me after I walk across the stage and I even have a back- plan.

So it’s never to early to start to think about the future. Senior year is one expensive year as there is homecoming, prom, grad bash, senior pictures and so many more things to purchase! However, in saying all that, those are all times for more memories to be made. Those all start out with a senior’s last first day of high school and then it’s all a race against time to finish everything that needs to be done. So don’t waste time, don’t wait till the last day to start that long project, don’t act “too cool” to have and show school spirit. Be involved! Do as much as can be done and be the best student. Involved students won’t regret the feeling of so much accomplishment when it is all said and done.

High school doesn’t last forever, but the memories will. If I could go back in time and start my four years of high school all over again, I would. No matter how much I wanted it to all end, I know I’m going to miss it. I would do so many things different. I would get better grades freshmen year. Because all those grades have followed me and I’m still paying the price. I would be a part of so many clubs and sports, and I would make friends with so many new people. I’d go over and make a conversation with the kid sitting alone at the lunch table. I would just enjoy it more then stress it.

Become involved. Be a better person. Make friends, family, and most importantly- make yourself proud.

-from a senior that would love to go back and do it all over again.