Cocoa Conquers Trinity Christian

Gabe Larracas

On Friday night, August 25, defending 4A State Champions, Cocoa Tigers faced the defending 3A State Champions, Trinity Christian Academy Conquerors. The Tigers prevailed with a final score of 24-21.

The first quarter ended with no score; however, during the second quarter, the Cocoa Tigers were quick to move down the field with a connection from Cantrell to Tri-Marea Charles who gets the first down from about the 44 yard line to the 28 yard line putting the Tigers close to the red zone. Cantrell handed it to Jay Hawk who had a gain of about 12 yards into the red zone. On the very next play, Jay Hawkins found some blockers in Zach Brasher and Josh Padrick, and a path to the first score of the game. Alex Petruzzello followed J-Hawk’s six with the extra point.  Cocoa-7, Trinity Christian, 0.

Cocoa’s defense turned out for the game, with John Smith and Howard Stewart stopping the Conqueror offense on several key plays and possessions. After some costly delay of game penalties, the Tigers send in Alex Petruzzello who put another three points on the score board with a 25 yard field goal.  Trinity Christian then returned the punt for a touchdown by Tyrik Johnson, and the Tigers went into half time with a 10-7 lead.

Into the third quarter, the Trinity Christian Conquerors took the lead, 14-10. The Tigers quickly respond when Cantrell gets the ball to Willie Gaines who gets the first down.  Then Cantrell hits Hawkins who finds the hole and sprints down the field to answer the Conquerors.  The extra point is good by Petruzzello and the Tigers take the lead back, 17-14. Trinity quickly responds with a long pass, and the lead switches, Conquerors, 21, Tigers 17.

The Tigers’ offensive line worked hard to open up paths for both Jay Hawk and Willie Gaines as the Tigers worked to answer Trinity. John Smith and the Cocoa defense made key stops to keep Trinity Christian from scoring again in the third quarter.  In the fourth quarter, the Tigers made an eighty yard drive and Willie Gaines put the Tigers into the lead to win it with a five yard touchdown, followed by the extra point by Petruzzello. Cocoa conquers Trinity, 24-21.