TTP Football Player of The Year

Written By: Jordan Rocco

Photos Taken By: Kaci Cox, Gabe Larracas & Craig Bailey of Florida Today

(The poll is at the end of the article)

Recently the Tigers football season came to an end. The Tigers finished their season as the runner-up for the 4A State Championship. For many of the players, this was their first year playing for the Tigers and first year playing in December for a State Championship. Not just anyone can be a Tigers Varsity Football player, it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to play under the Friday night lights.

This season many players stepped up to lead the Tigers to their second consecutive appearance to the FHSAA 4A State Championship. Out of thirteen games the team won eleven. To win eleven games and make it to the State Championship for the second year in a row it takes a team effort. Someone is deserving of being our first ever Tiger Times Productions Football Player of The Year. There’s just one problem, we do not know who it could be. Each player played a big role for the team this season and deserves it, but only one can win. That is why we are leaving it to you to vote. Before you vote read why each player was nominated and then out of the ten players that were selected choose the one that you feel best deserves it. This is not a popularity contest, we want you to vote for the player who you feel is deserving to be our Tiger Times Productions Football Player of The Year.

John Smith Senior Linebacker- John Smith finished off his high school career with a bang! John had a total of 78 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 interception, and 3 fumble recoveries. Not only did John make a big impact for the defense, but he was clutch on offense when they needed him. John made the game winning touchdown reception against Viera high school. John has been a Tiger for four years and was a captain for his final season.

Zach Beagle Senior Linebacker- Zach Beagle, who is currently committed to Princeton University, led the Tigers in tackles with 80 and averaged about 7 tackles a game. Zach just finished his fourth and final year for the Tigers. Zach played a big role by stopping any offensive player that comes his way.

Howard Stewart Senior Defensive End- Howard Stewart led the Tigers in sacks with a total of seven. Howard had a total of 61 tackles and forced and recovered one fumble. When the team needed him to he’d play running back. Howard had one rushing touchdown all season long.

Josh Padrick Senior Center- Josh Padrick led the offensive line for his fourth year as a Tiger. The offense rushed for 3855 total yards and had 1081 passing yards, and the Center led the way with his blocking.

Alex Petruzzello Junior Kicker/Punter-  Alex Petruzzello was consistently efficient for the Tigers. In his fourth season as the starting kicker for the Tigers, Petruzzello made 69 of 70 PATs and 8 of 10 FGs. His longest field goal was in the State Championship and it was 46 yards. Alex had a total of 3854 kickoff yards this season. Alex was the starting punter for the Tigers and he punted 23 times for a total of 847 yards with a long of 60 yards and six punts inside the 20 yard line.

Connor Perrine Senior Wide Receiver- Connor Perrine finished off his high school career as a Tiger and he made a big impact by leading the team in receiving yards. Connor had a total of 21 receptions for 332 yards and 4 touchdowns. Connor also had one rushing touchdown.

Tri-marea Charles Senior Defensive Back/Wide Receiver-  In his first season as a Tiger, Tri-marea Charles played a big role for the Tigers on both sides of the field. Not only was he making an impact for the defense by having a total of 59 tackles, 6 sacks, and two passes deflected, but he was also making an impact for the offense by 92 yards and 3 touchdowns, and having ten receptions for 192 receiving yards along with 4 touchdown receptions.

Willie Gaines- Junior Running Back/Defensive Back- Willie Gaines was a star for the Tigers this season. In the regular season Gaines shared snaps with Javian Hawkins. Willie ran for a total of 710 yards and 6 touchdowns in the regular season. In the final game of the regular season Hawkins went down with a sprained hamstring and Gaines had to step up as the starting running back, and saying he “stepped up” would be a understatement to describe his performance. In the playoffs Gaines rushed for 639 yards along with 9 rushing touchdowns, keep in mind the playoffs was only four games long. Also, Gaines had one interception in the State Championship.

Javian Hawkins- Senior Running Back/Defensive Back- Javian Hawkins, currently committed to Louisville, had a breakout year for the Tigers. In his second season as a Tiger, J-Hawk averaged 9 yards per carry on 198 carries and ran for 1783 yards with 20 rushing touchdowns. Hawkins led Brevard County in rushing yards and rushing touchdowns. J-Hawk also had ten receptions for 134 yards and one touchdowns. Along with his stellar offensive performance, J-Hawk dominated on defense with having a total of two interceptions all season long. J-Hawk led the team in scoring with 126 points.

Bradley Cantrell Senior Quarterback- Bradley Cantrell finished his high school career as a Tiger and he helped lead us to our second State Championship appearance. Cantrell passed for 1046 yards and 15 touchdowns. Cantrell completed 63 of 100 passing attempts and only threw one interception. Cantrell rushed for 181 yards and two touchdowns.

Now that you’ve seen all the candidates, go and vote for the first ever Tiger Times Productions Football Player of The Year. Voting will be open till next Tuesday, December 19th. You can only vote once so choose wisely.

https://cocoatigertimes.com/pollsarchive/

7 Comments

7 Responses to “TTP Football Player of The Year”

1. Thomas Cantrell on December 12th, 2017 6:38 am

Nice to have a QB to manage and be able to pass the ball, I think Bradley did an exceptional job this year. Didn’t have a lot of opportunity to showcase his talent because of offense being a runnning team first!

[Reply]

2. Quanyrrious on December 12th, 2017 6:39 am

John Smith

[Reply]

3. Troy king on December 12th, 2017 8:44 am

This is very hard. Each one is deserving. But if I had to choose between defense and offense, Hawkins on offense and Smith and Stewart on defense. Great job guys.

[Reply]

4. Michael Brown on December 12th, 2017 5:21 pm

Bradley Cantrell,
    is my vote. This young man is very deserving of this prestigious honor.

[Reply]

5. Karen Simons on December 12th, 2017 8:23 pm

I vote for Conner Perrine

[Reply]

6. Willie Gaines on December 13th, 2017 5:29 pm

When Willie really needed to step up he did

[Reply]

7. John Smith on December 14th, 2017 9:05 am

John deserves to player of the year, he was a amazing teamate, freind, leader, and football player. He is very commited to the game and is passionat about it. At any time that we needed to elavate our game or get excited, John Smith is the guy.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Showcase

PLAYSTATION – Javian Hawkins – Senior Highlights

• TTP Football Player of The Year

Showcase

Tigers Dominate The Vipers

• TTP Football Player of The Year

Showcase

Buzzer Beater Beat Down

• TTP Football Player of The Year

Showcase

A Season To Remember

• TTP Football Player of The Year

Opinion

Is Cheerleading A Sport?

• TTP Football Player of The Year

Showcase

2017 4A State Championship Preview

• TTP Football Player of The Year

Showcase

Big Day For Tiger Sports

• TTP Football Player of The Year

News

Suicide Awareness and its Effects on Students

• TTP Football Player of The Year

Showcase

Back To Back

• TTP Football Player of The Year

Showcase

Winter Sports Showcase: Boys Soccer

TTP Football Player of The Year