Buzzer Beater Beat Down

Written By: Jordan Rocco

The Tigers started off the new year with a bang: a huge win over the Merritt Island Mustangs. Both teams fought hard, but the Tigers overcame adversity by defeating the Mustangs 56-54.

The starting lineup for the Tigers was Chad Floyd (Senior) at point guard, Antwan Freeman (Sophomore) at shooting guard, Marquise Freeman (Sophomore) at small forward, Caleb Washington (Senior) at power forward and Richard Leonard (Sophomore) at center.

The Mustangs had an early lead of 15-6, but the Tigers defense was able to stop them from scoring for the rest of the quarter. Fueled by great defense, the Tigers offense went on an 8-0 run, bringing them back in the game, and leading to a 15-14 score at the end of the first quarter. Marquise Freeman led the team with six points in the first quarter.

In the second quarter the Mustangs started to gain a lead over the Tigers. The Tigers scored 11 points in the second quarter while the Mustangs scored 19. At the end of the first half the Mustangs led 34-25.

Although the Tigers were down by nine, they were never out of this game. I asked Chris Knowles what Coach Rowe said to the team in order to motivate them going into the second half and he said “Coach just told us don’t panic, stay calm, we are going to win”. The Tigers looked to build off their coaches advise and gain momentum in the second half.

In the third quarter, the Tigers stormed back into the game by scoring 19 points and limiting the Mustangs to only 13 points. The Tigers depth truly showed, as their bench played a big role in the third quarter. Jontavious Thomas made two three pointers and Sam Moran scored four points.

Going into the fourth quarter, the Tigers were down by three with the score at 47-44. Towards the end of the game, the Tigers were able to gain their first lead on a Chris Knowles layup making the score 53-51.

This lead did not last long however, as the Mustangs were able to regain a lead that they held for almost the entirety of the game. The Tigers were down 54-53 with less than a minute remaining when Marquise Freeman was fouled.

Marquise missed both free throw attempts, but senior Chris Knowles was able to get the rebound off the missed free throw and quickly passed the ball to freshman Jontavious Thomas, a recent varsity call-up, who drained his third three pointer of the night with ten seconds remaining to secure a Tigers victory. The final score was 56-54.

ABSOLUTE INSANITY! Johntavius Thomas knocked down the three to win the game for the Tigers.

Posted by Tiger Times Productions on Tuesday, January 9, 2018

‪A better angle of the Buzzer Beater by Jontavious Thomas 🏀.‬

Posted by Tiger Times Productions on Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Not only did the Varsity team beat the Mustangs, but the Tigers Junior Varsity and Freshman teams also came out on top.

The Tigers defense proved their dominance tonight, especially in the fourth quarter when they held the Mustangs to only seven points. Xavier Scott led the team with one block and Sam Moran, Chad Floyd, and Marquise Freeman each had one steal.

Marquise Freeman led the team in scoring with 14 points and also led the team with eight rebounds. The Tigers bench played a key role in the win, scoring a total of 24 points. Jontavious Thomas scored 12 of the Tigers 24 bench points and Chad Floyd led the team in assists with eight.

Chris Knowles scored six points and had six rebounds off the bench and he was selected as the Tiger Times Productions Player of The Game for his clutch performance in the fourth quarter when he got the offensive rebound to set up Johntavius Thomas to make the three pointer.

The Tigers defeated the Mustangs 56-54. Chris Knowles played a big role for the Tigers off the bench. He had some key rebounds and big plays. The Senior was chosen as our Tiger Times Productions Player of The Game.

In case you missed the second half of the Tigers victory you can watch it here:

Tigers VS. Mustangs Boys Varsity Basketball Second Half Coverage.

With this win the Tigers now have a record of three wins and seven losses. Their next game is tomorrow, January 11th against the Space Coast Vipers at home. If you are unable to attend the game watch our live stream on Facebook @CocoaTigerTimes.