Tigers Dominate The Vipers

Gabe Larracas

Written By: Jordan Rocco

Video By: Gabe Larracas

The Boys Varsity Basketball team obliterated the Space Coast Vipers defeating them 63-34. This was the second victory of the new year and the week for the Tigers.

The starting lineup for the Tigers was Chad Floyd (Senior) at point guard, Antwan Freeman (Sophomore) at shooting guard, Marquise Freeman (Sophomore) at small forward, Caleb Washington (Senior) at power forward and Richie Leonard (Sophomore) at center.

The game started off by the Tigers only allowing the Vipers to score one point in the first quarter. The Tigers scored eleven points in the first quarter which gave them a 11-1 lead going into the second quarter. The Tigers excelled offensively in the second quarter scoring eighteen points and were still strong on defense by only allowing the Vipers to score nine points. Going into the second half the Tigers had a nineteen point lead over the Vipers 29-10.

After having a very successful first half the Tigers went into the second half very confident that they were going to come out on top. The Tigers scored nineteen points in the third quarter making it their highest scoring quarter of the game. The Tigers continued to play vigorous on defense by only allowing the Vipers to score nine points in the third quarter. Going into the fourth quarter the Tigers had a monumental lead over the Vipers 48-19.

In the fourth quarter the Tigers continued to do what they did all game long and that is dominate. Both teams scored fifteen points in the fourth quarter. The final score was 63-34 and this was the fourth win of the season for the Tigers Boys Varsity Basketball team.

Marquise Freeman with the big slam dunk to put the Tigers up 60-30 with less than three minutes remaining in the fourth quarter.

Posted by Tiger Times Productions on Thursday, January 11, 2018

The Sophomore duo of Marquise Freeman and Richie Leonard both played an effective role for the Tigers. Richie led the team in rebounds with eleven while Marquise led the team in points with twenty. This was the second game in a row Marquise Freeman that led the Tigers in scoring. On Tuesday he scored 14 points and on Thursday he scored 20 points. Against the Vipers he was unstoppable in the paint and according to Richie Leonard after I asked him about Marquise’s performance “successful from three”. Marquise Freeman’s performance was deserving of being our Tiger Times Productions Player of The Game.

‪Marquise Freeman played a big game for the Tigers 🐅 by scoring twenty points. Marquise is our Tiger Times Productions Player of The Game! #tigerpride #TigerTimes‬

Chad Floyd was the second leading scorer for the Tigers with ten points and led the team in three’s with three. Along with Chad, Chris Knowles played exceptionally well by leading the team in steals with three and scoring seven points along with four rebounds.

Chad Floyd and Chris Knowles both played big roles in the overall victory against the Space Coast Vipers.

Tonight the Tigers travel to the South end of the county to face the Melbourne Central Catholic Hustlers for their third game of the week. Next week, for the second week in a row the Tigers will be having a total of three games and two of them are home while one is away. The Tigers will have the weekend to rest but then they are back to business! After the game tonight their will be seven games left on their schedule. Make sure you follow us on Facebook @CocoaTigerTimes and Twitter @CNNTigers for coverage of the season!

February 9th will not only be the last game of the regular season for the Tigers but it will also be the last regular season game for head coach James Rowe. After coaching the Tigers for twenty two years, Coach Rowe has won a total of four hundred and forty one games and won one State Championship in 2009. Coach James Rowe has dedicated a tremendous amount of effort and time into the program.

The final regular season game for Coach Rowe will be at home against the Heritage Panthers. Please attend the game to honor Coach Rowe and thank him for all he has done for the Cocoa High School basketball program. If you cannot attend the game please watch our live stream on Facebook.