The Bionic Tigers

Bionic Tigers operating to create an idea of, and model a robot to be later developed into a working  machine.

Bionic Tigers operating to create an idea of, and model a robot to be later developed into a working machine.

On January 13th of 2018, I visited the Bionic Tigers as they went about a build meet.  This visit gave insight into the importance of the robotics team, its structure, and its purpose. A discussion was held with Isriah Keila, and Trish Roberts to get an understanding of how the Bionic Tigers operated. The Tigers are to build a robot to complete a certain task. This task is decided by the FIRST foundation, in the form of an animation created by the program, and is given to the high school teams that participate. This year, the task of the competition is themed in the form of an arcade game in which both teams of robotic competitors are to take boxes, called power cubes, and to place them on their scales and switches for control over the field. This, in turn, leads to point gains on either side. The team is given six weeks to create an idea of, and build a robot for the competition. This small time frame and intense task challenges the team to its full abilities.

The Bionic Tigers usually compete in two regional events, last year they competed in the Orlando Regionals and traveled to Denver. Last years task had a steampunk theme and dealt with the propulsion of small balls and gears to have an “airship” in best shape to operate by the end of the match. Near the end of the match the robots were to be attached and raised by a type of wench for points. This year, the Bionic Tigers will be competing in the Orlando regional and a regional in Ohio. If a team qualifies in a regional event, then they will compete in worlds. In worlds they are competing against people from all over the world.

Lathes, for the purpose of cutting, knurling, rounding, and or sanding of workpieces.

Trish Roberts spoke about the composition of the The Robotics team, which for the most part consists of Cocoa High students, does not turn away students who come from other schools. An example of one of these students is Isriah Keila, who came from Rockledge High school.

Mechanism for placing blocks into scoring areas.

When asked what Robotics meant to them, the members all had something meaningful to say. Isriah stated that the team was ” a way to express myself and learn new things.” Jayy said his favorite part of being on the team was the people, but that was also the most difficult part. Trish Roberts, who is the leader of the robotics team, described how she was connected to the team after thirteen years of leading the team.

CNC lathes works similarly to other lathes but can cut a computer generated insertion into a workpiece.

The Robotics team is open to anyone who wants to try it out and heeds great experiences. You don’t need to have any knowledge of the subject

If you’d like to see what the Bionic Tigers are up to, you can follow them on Youtube under the name BionicTigers, and on Instagram @bionictigers1592, and on Twitter @FRC1592.