Stoneman Douglas School Shooting

USATODAY

On Wednesday February 14, 2018 a school shooting occurred at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.  Around 2:20 P.M. a shooter fired multiple shots in the freshman section of the campus. Within minutes the S.W.A.T. team was on site sweeping the school, over twenty wounded, of the twenty who were wounded seventeen people were killed, thirteen were in the school, four were killed outside the school. Right before the shooting started the fire alarm went off followed by multiple gunshots. Authorities do know that the fire alarm was pulled to cause a mass evacuation of the school for the gunman to shoot at more people. Nikolaus Cruz was arrested as the primary suspect in the shooting, Broward County Sheriff Department in a statement said “a semi-automatic assault rifle may have been used.” When the suspect [Cruz] was taken into custody  “he had one AR-15 style firearm and multiple magazines.” A spokesperson for the sheriff’s department said in a television statement later. Cruz is a nineteen year old former student at Stoneman Douglas,  Cruz was set to appear in court on February 15, 2018, he has be charged with seventeen counts of premeditated murder.

PHOTO: Nikolas Cruz is seen here in his mug shot, Feb. 14, 2018.

Nikolas Cruz is seen here in his mug shot, Feb. 14, 2018.                                                          Credit: Broward County Sheriff

Nine weeks into 2018 there has already been nineteen shootings in U.S. schools

These are the victims of the Stoneman Douglas school shooting

Alyssa Alhadeff, 14

02 alyssa alhadeff stoneman douglas victim

Scott Beigel, 35

01 scott beigel stoneman douglas victim

Martin Duque Anguiano, 14

Nicholas Dworet, 17

01 nicholas dworet stoneman douglas victim

Aaron Feis, 37

Jaime Guttenberg, 14

01 jamie guttenberg stoneman douglas victim

Chris Hixon, 49

02 chris hixon stoneman douglas athletic director

Luke Hoyer, 15

Cara Loughran, 14

Gina Montalto, 14

Joaquin Oliver, 17

Alaina Petty, 14

Alaina Petty

Meadow Pollack, 18

Helena Ramsay, 17

Alex Schachter, 14

Carmen Schentrup, 16

Peter Wang, 15

Another schoolmate said “police were called to the house [of Cruz] almost every other week.”  He also recalled a time where Cruz “cornered a squirrel and was trying to throw rocks at it and kill it.” Some of his most alarming behavior was online, there are online posts in which he writes: “I wanna shoot people with my AR-15” and “Im going to be a professional school shooter.” The latter post, made with Cruz’s name attached to it, was reported to the FBI. But FBI officials said they were unable to determine who was responsible.

Nikolas Cruz’s arrignment hearing:

Nikolas Cruz’s arraignment hearing, Feb. 15, 2018.                                                                                      Credit: Miami Herald

-Image and Video credit: Broward County Sheriff’s Department, CNN, Miami Herald