EVENT SPOTLIGHT: Spirit Week

Written By: Bindi Patel

Spirit Week is a traditional activity many high schools participate in. This week is held the week of homecoming weekend. Students celebrate their school pride by becoming creative and dressing up as the noted theme and coming together as a school.

For example, on character day, students dress up as any character from any book, movie, television show or even celebrities. Amari Adkins said “I seen someone that dressed up as the rapper Tekashi69 and it is crazy because he looked exactly like him on spot.”

In 1952, Palo Alto High School in California invented “Friendship Week” to welcome back students. In the 1960’s, the name was changed to Spirit Week. The Friday of Spirit Week usually has a Pep Rally hosted to kickoff the homecoming football game that is going to be taking place later that day. Yamil Archila said “Homecoming games are always fun, more people are out and the stands are packed. The band and cheerleaders have more hype.”

Cocoa High School happens to have Spirit Week on a 4 day week this year. Monday was a teacher/student holiday, Tuesday was Twin Day, Wednesday was College Day, Thursday was Character Day, and Friday was Crazy Orange and Black Day.

Jordan Rocco hosted the Pep Rally on Friday in Cocoa High’s gym. All of the CHS Tigers showed out with there orange and black. Lexie Pridgen said “The best thing about Spirit Week is seeing the creativity everyone puts in there outfits, some people are so smart.”

As the years go by, more and more people warm up to the idea of Spirit Week and participate. Luis Maldonado stated “As the president of class of 2020, I love seeing faculty and students come together and participate. Little events like this are what makes Cocoa how it is.”