SPORTS SPOTLIGHT: The Tiger Sharks Qualify for the FHSAA 2A State Swim Meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Written By: Jordan Rocco

The boys and girls swim teams qualified for the regional meet. In order to qualify for the regional meet a swimmer must place top 16 to be considered, but they must have a time that is faster than the other districts to qualify.

The boys swim team had a total of seven swimmers qualify for the regional meet and the girls had nine. This year Cocoa hosted the regional meet at the YMCA Aquatic Center in Orlando. This was a big deal for the school.

This was the final meet for seniors Jordan Rocco and Colten Blevins. Colten competed in four events while Jordan competed in two events. Garrett Cone, Freddie Cole, Casey Cole, and Roman Quattrocchi all qualified for the state swim meet.

Garrett Cone placed third in the 200 freestyle and fourth in the 100 fly. I asked Garrett Cone “how does it feel to make states for the second year in a row?” and he said “amazing it doesn’t get better than this, well other than winning at States”.

Freddie automatically qualified for the state swim meet by placing second in the 100 breast. He was very excited about his race. Roman Quattrocchi, a freshman, qualified for States in the 100 freestyle. He went his best time ever.

The boys 400 freestyle relay qualified for the State meet by placing second at Regionals. This was a big meet for all of the swimmers on the team. It was even a big deal for all of the coaches. Coach Mitzi said to the team that she was “very proud”.

Coach Mitzi and Coach Laura trained the swimmers all season long so that they could achieve their goals, and they did a really good job.

Jordan Rocco is the first swimmer in Cocoa High School history to swim for six years. This is the first year in, well forever, that the Cocoa High School Tigersharks have sent a relay to State. The Cocoa High School Tigersharks have made history!